Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy trains young musicians and stage directors at the beginning of their career in the arts for young audiences.
Under Caecilia Thunnissen's direction, Artistic Director of Oorkaan, young artists are provided with high quality training, both with regard to their scenic-musical work as well as the development of a new artistic language for young audiences.
The results of the Jeunesse Oorkaan Academy are for the first time on June 19, 2022 at the family day in Grafenegg and in the season 22 | 23 in Jeunesse format »Triolino« for children from 3 years to experience.
Since its foundation in 2001 at the Royal Concertgebouw (Amsterdam), Oorkaan has collaborated with numerous renowned ensembles. Not only have OORKAN's Staged Concerts been invited to Elbphilharmonie, Philharmonie Luxembourg, Baden-Baden or Salzburger Festspiele, but they have also received numerous international prizes and nominations.
As artistic director of Oorkaan, Caecilia Thunnissen developed the Oorkaan-method. She has staged for the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, founded WannaPlayGround, worked as a dance dramaturg and company director of the dance company Nanine Linning in Osnabrück and won the YAMaward 2020.
Academic governing body of Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy is the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna. Musicians and theatre makers can, as regular or extraordinary students, gain up to 10 ECTS credits at their own college or university within the European Higher Education Area.
What does the Jeunesse Academy offer?
The Jeunesse Academy consists of a masterclass in four parts in spring 2022 and of being part of the "Triolino"-cast, a series of four concerts for children aged 3 and older in the Jeunesse-program 2022/23.
The masterclass will start with an online introduction session on concert formats for young audiences on 19.2.2022. From 18 – 20.3.2022 the first Basic Masterclass will take place, from 8. – 15.4.2022 an Intensive Masterclass, both at Campus Grafenegg. The trainings will be complemented by topic-relevant guest lectures.The results will be presented at the Grafenegg Family Day in Grafenegg on June 19, 2022.
In the artistic season 2022/23, four TRIOLINO productions will be created, each featuring a Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy ensemble and a theatre maker. The productions will be artistically accompanied and supervised, and after the premiere in Vienna, they will also feature in some other cities in Austria.
The productions are visited by all Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy fellows and will be discussed and feedbacked together.
- Online Masterclass: 19.2.2022
- Basis Masterclass: 18. – 20.3.2022 at Campus Grafenegg
- Intensive Mastercalss: 8. – 15.4.2022 am Campus Grafenegg
- Showcase at the Grafenegg Family Day: 19.6.2022 Grafenegg
- Being part of the "Triolino"-cast in the Jeunesse-program 2022/23 (September 2022 to June 2023)
Who is the Academy for?
For instrumental ensembles (2 to max. 6 persons)
- with interest and joy to inspire young audiences with instrumental classical music from the past and present and from all over the world
- with a desire to play by heart
- with interest in training for physical acting, movement theater and body work
- who are not afraid of breaking up the classical repertoire to create theatrical scenes
Applications from individual musicians will be accepted if there is a willingness to become part of a newly formed ensemble consisting of other individual applicants and to search for or arrange pieces for the new ensemble, if necessary.
For directors, choreographers and theater makers
- who are interested in and enjoy inspiring young audiences with instrumental classical music from the past and present and from around the world
- who understand and can relate to the dramaturgy and structure of a piece of classical music (ability to read or follow sheet music is requested)
- who enjoy working with instrumentalists without professional acting and movement experience
- who are curious about what music has to tell and who base their creative process on a piece of music instead of a story or anecdote.
Musicians and theater makers are eligible to participate, regardless of whether they are currently enrolled at a university or not. Students from universities that are part of the Bologna Process can get up to 10 ECTS credits earned at Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy for their studies.
Participation in Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy is financed by Jeunesse – Musikalische Jugend Österreichs. The costs are covered for:
- Course fees
- Accommodation in double rooms in the new Grafenegg Cottages
The engagements in Triolino are financially compensated with Jeunesse-standard fees. Rehearsal times and performance dates will be discussed after acceptance into Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy.
Participants agree to attend the Academy during all specified times and to be available for rehearsals and performances of Triolino in Vienna and other Austrian Cities during the artistic season 2022/23.
Applications will be accepted until January 14, 2022. Complete application materials include
Please feel free to add links to recordings of entire concerts or productions in the artistic resume.
After the application deadline, all applications will be reviewed by a jury consisting of Caecilia Thunnissen (Oorkaan), Lutz Köller (Elbphilharmonie Hamburg), Constance Cauers (ASSITEJ Austria), as well as Elisabeth Pöcksteiner and Christian Schulz (Jeunesse). Successful applicants will be contacted with further information by 31 January 2022.
Number of participants: Max. 4 ensembles and 4 directors.