The Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy trains young musicians and directors at the beginning of their careers; the focus is on artistic work for a young audience.
The Academy lays the foundation for top-level artistic support of young artists, their scenic-musical work and the development of a new artistic language for young audiences.
Since its foundation in 2001 at the Koninklijk Concertgebouw (Amsterdam), Oorkaan has collaborated with numerous renowned ensembles. As artistic director of Oorkaan and the Jeunesse Oorkaan Academy, Caecilia Thunnissen founded the Oorkaan Method. The "Staged Concerts" developed with this method receive invitations to the Elbphilharmonie, the Philharmonie Luxembourg, Baden-Baden or the Salzburg Festival and have received numerous international nominations and awards.
Who is the Jeunesse Oorkaan Academy for?
For instrumental ensembles (2 to max. 6 persons)
- with interest and joy in inspiring young audiences with instrumental classical music from the past and present and from all over the world
- with a desire to play by heart
- with interest in training for physical acting, movement theater and body work
- who are not afraid to break up the classical repertoire and create theatrical scenes with it
Applications from individual musicians will be accepted if there is a willingness to become part of a newly formed ensemble, consisting of other individual applicants, and to search for or arrange suitable pieces for the yet-to-be-found cast.
For directors, choreographers and theater makers,
- who are interested in and enjoy inspiring young audiences with instrumental music from the past and present and from all over the world
- who would like to understand the dramaturgy and structure of a piece of classical music (ability to read music is desirable, but not essential),
- who enjoy working with instrumentalists without professional acting and movement experience,
- with curiosity to use the sheet music and scores as the underlying text for a piece development and creative process.
What does the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy offer?
The Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy is composed of a four-part Masterclass in the spring of 2023 and engagement in the Jeunesse format "Triolino" for children ages 3 and up in the 2023/24 season.
The Masterclass will start with a one-day online introduction to concert formats for young audiences in January 2023, followed by the first basic Masterclass in Amsterdam (NL) in February 2023 and the intensive Masterclass in Grafenegg (AUT) in April 2023. The trainings will be complemented by topic-relevant guest lectures. The results will be presented to the public for the first time in June 2023.
In the season 23/24, four Triolino concert productions for children from the age of 3 will be created, each featuring a Jeunesse Oorkaan Academy ensemble and a theater maker. The productions are artistically accompanied and supervised, and after the premiere in Vienna, they also play in the Austrian provinces. The four Triolino productions will be visited by all Jeunesse Oorkaan Academy scholarship holders and discussed together.
Previous academy members have succeeded internationally in competitions and auditions. They are regularly requested by theaters and concert halls for new pieces, and the academy members' own productions are included in festival programs.
Overview of the program
The next year of the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy will start in the summer semester 2023 - applications are now open!
Expected dates (open for changes):
- 28.01.2023, Online-Introduction (full day)
- 7 - 12.02.2023, Basic-Masterclass, Amsterdam (NL)
- 31.3. - 07.04.2023, Intensive-Masterclass, Grafenegg (AUT)
- 17. - 18.06.2023, Showing, Grafenegg (AUT), possible further showings in June 2023, tba
- Engagement in the Jeunesse format "Triolino" for children from 3 years on in the season 2023/24
Participation in the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy is financed by the Jeunesse-Musical Youth of Austria and Oorkaan. The costs are covered for:
- Course fees
- Accommodation in double rooms
For travel expenses, a pro-rata reimbursement for climate-neutral travel will be sought.
The engagements in Triolino 23/24 are financially compensated with Jeunesse-standard fees. Rehearsal times and performance dates will be discussed after acceptance into the Jeunesse Oorkaan Academy. Additional rehearsal work, supervision and feedback will be credited via ECTS credits.
The participants commit themselves to participate in the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy during all indicated periods and to be available for rehearsals and performances of Triolino in Vienna and the provinces during the season 2023/24.
In case of early, self-chosen withdrawal from the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy, course and accommodation costs will be charged proportionally in retrospect.
Review of the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy
Here you can find a review of the pilot edition of the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy.
Applications will be accepted until October 31, 2022. Complete application documents include:
- Application form
- Artistic curriculum vitae (max. length 1 DIN A4 page)
- Application video (see guidelines)
Please feel free to add links to recordings of entire concerts or productions in the artistic CV.
Submissions will only be accepted electronically via WeTransfer (www.wetransfer.com) to academy(at)jeunesse.at.
All applications will be reviewed by an international jury after the application deadline on October 31, 2022. Successful applicants will be contacted with further information by November 30, 2023.
Number of participants: Max. 4 ensembles and 4 directors.
- Caecilia Thunnissen (Oorkaan)
- Arno Steinwider (MUK)
- Lutz Köller (Elbphilharmonie Hamburg)
- Floortje Smehuijzen (Muziekgebouw & BIMHUIS)
- Veyser Dzhesur (Oorkaan)
- Clara Read (Jeunesse Vienna)
The university umbrella of the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy is the Musik und Kunst Privatuniversität der Stadt Wien. Students (musicians as well as theater makers) from universities that are part of the Bologna Process can receive up to 10 ECTS credits earned at the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy as electives for their studies.
Musicians and theater makers are eligible to participate in the Jeunesse-Oorkaan-Academy regardless of whether they are currently enrolled at a university or not.
Elisabeth Pöcksteiner, Clara Read MSc
Junges Publikum | Young Audiences